The start of a new year is always a time when people make resolutions to be healthier. This year, consider making some healthy resolutions as a family. Sit down with your children and make a list of ways that they’d like to improve themselves and their health.
Here are some resolution suggestions for every age:
Ages 3 to 5
- I will wash my hands before I eat and after I go to the bathroom.
- I will put my toys away at the end of the day before bed.
- I will put my dishes in the sink all by myself after I finish eating.
- I will be a good friend and help my friends at school so that they aren’t lonely or sad.
- I will listen to my parents read me a story every night before bed.
- I will ask my parents or my teacher if I’m not sure if something is safe.
- I will spend some time playing outside each day.
- I will use “please” and “thank you” when I’m asking for something.
Ages 5 to 12
- I will spend at least 20 minutes per day reading and complete my homework before I have screen time.
- I will find a sport or an activity that I enjoy doing, and I will do it regularly (at least three times each week).
- I will try new and healthy foods when someone offers them to me.
- I will be kind to kids at school who seem lonely, and I will tell an adult if I see any bullying.
- I will wear a helmet when riding my bike.
- I will always wear my seatbelt in the car.
- I will not give out personal information, such as my name, home address, school, or phone number, over the internet. I will not send pictures of myself to someone I meet online unless my parents say it’s okay.
- I will follow my parents’ rules for using cell phones, video games, and the internet.
Ages 13 and Older
- I will avoid sugary drinks (such as soda) unless it’s a special occasion.
- I will exercise at least four times a week and eat a healthy, balanced diet.
- I will read two books each month and complete all my schoolwork before using the internet for fun or playing video games.
- I will commit to doing some sort of volunteer work on a regular basis to make my community a better place.
- I will do my best to avoid people and situations that may lead me to make bad decisions. If I find myself in a dangerous situation, I will call my parents. They will come get me, no questions asked.
- I will talk to my parents, a teacher, or another trusted adult if I’m feeling stressed, overwhelmed, or depressed.
- I will be respectful of the person I am dating, and I will make sure that person is also treating me with respect.
- I will never text or talk on my cell phone when I’m driving, and I will always wear my seatbelt in the car.
We would like to wish everyone a very happy and healthy new year!
The information and content on our website should not be used as a substitute for medical treatment or advice from your doctor.