Nashville is a great place to live, work, and play during the summer. With many family-friendly activities, everyone can take in the cultural richness of the Nashville community and make great memories that will last a lifetime.
Here are some of our favorite activities happening in and around town this summer:
- Nashville Zoo at Grassmere – Learn about animals, large and small, with a trip to the zoo. Our zoo features owls, red kangaroos, alligators, elephants and more. Let the little ones play on the jungle gym and cool off on a wilderness express ride or the Soaring Eagle Zipline. With so many neat creatures from land and sea, the zoo is a great place for children of all ages.
- Adventure Science Center – Foster a love of science with a trip to the Adventure Science Center on Fort Negley Boulevard. With a reputation as a learning institution in Nashville for almost 70 years, it features interactive exhibits and programs focused on encouraging visitors to think about the world around them in a new way. While you’re there escaping the heat of summer, don’t forget to visit the Sudekum Planetarium and learn more about the stars.
- Historic Sites – Encourage a respect and love of history with a trip to Belle Meade Plantation, Belmont Mansion, or Andrew Jackson’s Hermitage: Home of the People’s President. With such a rich history, your children will be ready when school comes around and teachers start to talk about local history. Give them something tangible to associate with the stories they hear with a leisurely stroll through these magnificent historical sites.
- Grand Ole Opry – Give your children something they will remember forever in Nashville’s famous music venue. The Grand Ole Opry features performances by new country music stars and legends alike. It’s an experience that most adults wish they had the chance to see. Check out their website for live performances every Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday.
- Music Hall of Fame’s Musical Petting Zoo – Many children love learning about musical instruments. Give them the opportunity to try them all with the Musical Petting Zoo, and see if you have a blossoming musician in the making.
- Frist Art Museum – The art museum downtown is another great summer activity that can help you escape the heat outside. Youth 18 and under are free. They have a special website for kids, parents and educators that spotlights all the fun families can experience.
- Bicentennial Capitol Mall – This beautiful 19-acre state park offers visitors interactive programs and tours surrounding Tennessee’s history. Families can enjoy walking in the park, picnicking and the splash pad for kids.
Our city is a great place to experience a friendly and welcoming atmosphere full of activities, sights, and sounds. Whether you prefer to spend your days outdoors or inside learning new things, there is something for everybody in Nashville. Learn and grow with your children in these safe, interactive environments for a truly special summer experience that the whole family can enjoy.